- Published on Wednesday, 01 August 2012 10:35
Article Read: 1005
McCracken Kent Town P/L, the owners of the Royal Coach Motor Inn in Adelaide, pleaded guilty in the Industrial Court to failing to ensure a safe working environment for its staff after a female cook sustained burns to half her body.
In January 2010, the part-time cook was transferring methylated spirits from a 25l container to a smaller vessel when some of the liquid spilled and was ignited by a pilot light on a gas water heater less than 1m from where the flammible liquid was stored.
The Royal Coach Motor Inn has been fined $90,000 reduced by 25% for the company's plea of guilty at the earliest opportunity, over the incident that occurred two years ago.
Industrial magistrate Stephen Lieschke found the worker had received no training in handling the methylated spirits and that McCracken Kent Town P/L had displayed "hopelessly inadequate consideration" to the dangers posed by the location of the liquids.