The advisory board was formally launched by Queensland’s Minister for Innovation and Tourism Industry Development/Minister for the Commonwealth Games, Kate Jones , on the Gold Coast, where the Commonwealth Games will start in less than three weeks.
“The launch of our Queensland State Advisory Board is a significant step forward for accommodation industry representation in the state,” said the Chief Executive Officer of the Accommodation Association of Australia, Richard Munro.
“As our members are aware, tourism is one of the largest and most important industries for the Queensland economy and within tourism, the accommodation sector is a dominant player.
“The move to launch a special board to specifically represent the interests of Accommodation Association members in Queensland formally acknowledges this.
“It also underlines the point that priority policy issues for the Accommodation Association in Queensland are issues which directly impact on accommodation beds.”
Members of the Queensland State Advisory Board are from a broad cross-section of accommodation businesses, including large national chains who have many hotels in major cities to smaller operators whose properties are in regional Queensland.
“With the likes of global giant Airbnb and other sharing economy platforms who directly employ virtually no Queenslanders, pay next to no tax in Queensland and pay virtually no council rates in Queensland, the launch of the new Queensland State Advisory Board is very timely,” Mr Munro said.
“To help preserve the safety of visitors to Queensland, there must be a level-playing field for the regulation of tourism accommodation in the state.
“Without this, the superb reputation Queensland has enjoyed in the eyes of the travelling public could be at risk.”
The launch took place at the Southport offices of training provider HETC (Harvest Educational Technical College).
Members of the Accommodation Association Queensland State Advisory Board:
• Chair – Mr Ian Sandilands, President/Chairman, Best Western Hotels Australia
• Mr Michael Boroystan, Regional Manager, TFE Hotels
• Mr Matt Young, Vice President Operations QLD/NT, AccorHotels
• Mr Mark Hodge, Executive Director Operations, Mantra Group
• Mr Steve Ryan, General Manager, Comfort Inn & Suites Robertson Gardens, Nathan
• Mr Nick uit den Bogaard, Owner, Comfort Resort Blue Pacific, Mackay
• Mr Paul Hodda, Owner, Best Western Ascot Lodge Goondiwindi
• Mr Warren Cullum, Regional Director of Operations, Wyndham Hotel Group South East Asia and Pacific Rim, Wyndham Vacation Resorts Asia Pacific
• Mr Craig Barber, General Manager, Alex Perry Hotels