It’s a trend that’s gathering such momentum across the industry that even Google has changed its metasearch to support local enterprise. Accommodation providers could be next in line to benefit.
accomnews showed you five of these a few weeks ago and now we’ve found five more!
These startups use word of mouth to link tourists with communities, urging visitors to boost the local economy rather than line the pockets of multi-national corporations.
A lot has been written recently about how accommodation providers could partner up with local businesses and attractions to boost service and profit margins.
These ideas all demonstrate innovative ways it is possible to make recommendations to guests.
In no particular order:
1. Localeur is a community of locals who want to help visitors experience the best places to eat, drink and play in their hometowns.
2. Mosey allows visitors to explore any city through the eyes of its locals. Powered by foursquare, images and stories from various locations can be posted and anyone can view to help decide what they want to experience.
3. Marker has users ‘mark’ places they’ve been with notes and photo descriptions so that anyone who follows you can check them out. You can also discover new places by checking out and saving the places people who follow have marked.
4. LocalFu is slightly different. Users pay $5 to have a local design your trip for you. You choose your local by searching through profiles and then send them your hopes and dreams for your vacation. Then they will put together their pest recommendations and send you an itinery. It’s like a virtual tour guide.
5. Pixie puts visitors in touch with local small business owners, allowing you to discover and recommend unique places in the area.
AccomNews is not affiliated with any government agency, body or political party. We are an independently owned, family-operated magazine.