Accommodation providers everywhere know that packages attract attention.
By putting a fresh spin and adding an amenity, you can take an ordinary package and make it buzz-worthy. And well, spectacular packages can make for amazing press coverage.
The main idea behind a package is to entice guests to reserve a room at your inn… even if they don’t book the specific package. It seems counterintuitive – stings a little too. After all, you just spent time and sweat equity putting together this amazing deal.
Fear not, often times people will come because they saw your package and remembered your property.
Sometimes, you’ll be relieved people heard about you from your carefully-curated getaway but didn’t book that particular experience. You’re a busy bee, your goal is to get the guests to reserve rooms and get the media to do a double-take.
Here are seven tips to help build a media-worthy package:
1. Identify a news hook, such as:
• Upcoming holiday
• News peg
• Celebratory event at your inn (e.g. anniversary or milestone)
2. List YOUR inn’s current offerings, for example:
• Overnight accommodation
• Homemade breakfast
• Complimentary WiFi
• Complimentary water
3. Add something that’s inexpensive and easy, like:
• A cup of hot chocolate and marshmallows
• Hot tea
• Milk and cookies
4. Find a place at your inn where guests may enjoy this, e.g.:
• By the fireplace
• In the sun room
• Oversized chair in living room or library
5. Add adjectives/descriptions
• Energising homemade breakfast
• Complimentary wifi, so you can chart your course
• A cup of hot chocolate loaded with marshmallows served by the roaring fire
6. Stick on a catchy title
• Flee Valentine’s package
• Hike Till You Drop (the Pounds) Package
• Kiss Me, I’m Irish Adjacent Package for St. Patrick’s Day
7. Find ways to recycle this
• Add new adjectives
• Create more titles
• Add different yet inexpensive/easy elements
Here’s a sample package:
Doggie-and-Me Hiking Package
Are you dog-gone tired of always leaving your pooch behind? Now you don’t have to! ABC Inn is pet-friendly and is offering a doggie-and-me hiking experience where you and your pup get to stretch your paws at XYZ Park and return to the inn for pampering.
• Overnight accommodation
• Hearty, homemade, breakfast for you/water bowl and dog treat for Fido
• Complimentary WiFi, so you can chart your course the night before
• Complimentary water for the trail
• A cup of hot chocolate loaded with marshmallows served by the roaring fire upon return; more water and treats waiting for your four-legged friend too