The small fire was likely caused by a flammable object thrown down a garbage chute, according to the property's spokeswoman

Mantra on Mary suffers second incident since Saturday

A fire broke out at the Brisbane CBD property yesterday afternoon, just days after 15 people were trapped inside one of the on-site lifts.

A spokesperson for the property told accomnews directly that “potentially something flammable was put down a garbage chute into a bin” and the fire was contained to one garbage bin.

“It wasn’t like there was a big fire in the room or anything like that,” she added. “It was quite minor and just set off the alarm.”

There was an evacuation after the alarm rang and the fire brigade came out to the property, as per protocol, “to make sure there was no smoke on any of the floors,” the spokeswoman confirmed. “There wasn’t, so everyone just went straight back in again.”

Although she wasn’t sure exactly how many staff and guests were evacuated, Nine News Brisbane alleged around 200 in a tweet Wednesday night.

Last Saturday, a lift broke down in the property, leaving 15 people stranded. The property’s spokeswoman told accomnews the matter was still being looked into.

She added that the incidents were “completely unrelated and it’s unfortunate that both occurred really”.

About Rosie Clarke

Rosie Clarke
Rosie Clarke is managing editor at Multimedia Publishing.

Check Also

Check out these team building sessions with a difference

Scavenger hunts and vine burnings will add some spice to work conferences at Oaks Hotels and Resorts this winter.

Meet the new player in quality accommodation

All homes are personally inspected by company representatives to ensure comfort, consistency and a level of design style.

Reduce booking abandonment with this easy fix

Showcase all room/property fees upfront. Nothing kills trust and transactions faster than hidden costs.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *