Tripadvisor has announced the winners of its highly-anticipated annual Travellers’ Choice Awards for Hotels and it reveals the most-loved hotels around the world, just in time for a busy travel season.
Despite another year of ups and downs, people still vacationed around the world, embracing a post-pandemic travel renaissance spurred by high vaccination rates. From returning to their favourite, trusted hotel, to adventurous journeys to new resorts across the world, people found ways to prioritise travel and returned the favour by leaving reviews of their stay to reveal the hotels they loved most.
The ‘2022 Travellers’ Choice Best of the Best Awards’ is based on the quality and quantity of traveller reviews and ratings posted on Tripadvisor over the 12-month period from January 1, 2021, through December 31, 2021. With millions of hotels around the world listed on Tripadvisor, only the cream of the crop – less than 1 percent are awarded as the Best of the Best.
The 2022 awards include 11 subcategories of accommodations, including three brand new ones: Out of the Ordinary Hotels, Hotels on the Water, and Mountain Resorts & Lodges. These subcategories are based on a variety of different factors – from hotel-type to location and even age of the property – to better customise travel planning for our variety of different travellers.
Kanika Soni, Chief Commercial Officer, Tripadvisor said: “We know there is not a one-size-fits-all approach to travel planning. Some travellers are looking for unique stays – ranging from cave hotels to overwater bungalows – while others are looking for a quaint B&B.
“No matter what type of trip you are looking for, this year’s Travellers’ Choice Awards – with winners spanning six continents and 90 countries – showcase the top recommendations from other travellers.”
The No. 1 Top Hotel in the entire world for 2022 is Tulemar Bungalows & Villas in Costa Rica. This jungle resort is perched on a hillside overlooking the Pacific Ocean. Consistently ranking in the Best of the Best Awards, Tulemar is frequently called an “amazing stay in paradise” by its guests.
Topping Australia and wider South Pacific lists, it’s Mount Lofty House Adelaide Hills ranking No. 1 for 2022. This hotel is no stranger to the Travellers’ Choice Best of the Best Awards. Built in 1852, the historic Mount Lofty House is the premier destination for luxury escapes, fine dining and boutique day spa experiences. The 30-acre estate overlooks the beautiful Piccadilly Valley.
In the other subcategories, Saffire Freycinet in Coles Bay made a splash, claiming spots on 7 different lists including ranking #3 in the world in the All-inclusive category and in the Luxury category, being ranked #20 the World list as well as #1 in Australia and the South Pacific lists.
Australia also made strong appearances in the Romance category, with two Australian properties ranking among the top 10 best in the world (The Falls Montville and Bli Bli House Riverside Retreat). And on the inaugural Out of the Ordinary list, South Australia’s Lookout Cave Underground Motel ranked among the unique properties that travellers love.
Top 10 Hotels in the World for 2022
- Tulemar Bungalows & Villas – Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica
- Hotel Colline de France – Gramado, Brazil
- Ikos Aria – Kefalos, Greece
- Romance Istanbul Hotel – Istanbul, Turkey
- THE OMNIA – Zermatt, Switzerland
- Kayakapi Premium Caves – Cappadocia – Urgup, Turkey
- Six Senses Laamu – Olhuveli Island, Maldives
- Hamanasi Adventure and Dive Resort – Hopkins, Belize
- Padma Resort Ubud – Payangan, Indonesia
- BLESS Hotel Madrid – Madrid, Spain
Top 10 Hotels in the South Pacific for 2022
- Mount Lofty House Adelaide Hills – Adelaide Hills, Australia
- Castaway Island Fiji – Castaway Island, Fiji
- M Social Auckland – Auckland Central, New Zealand
- Treasury On Collins – Melbourne, Australia
- Orana Motel – Dubbo, Australia
- InterContinental Bora Bora Resort Thalasso Spa – Bora Bora, French Polynesia
- Kingsford Smith Motel – Brisbane, Australia
- Quest Rotorua Central – Rotorua, New Zealand
- Fable Auckland – Auckland Central, New Zealand
- Quest South Perth Foreshore – South Perth, Australia
Top 10 Hotels in Australia for 2022
- Mount Lofty House Adelaide Hills – Adelaide Hills, South Australia
- Treasury On Collins – Melbourne, Victoria
- Orana Motel – Dubbo, New South Wales
- Kingsford Smith Motel – Brisbane, Queensland
- Quest South Perth Foreshore – South Perth, Western Australia
- Julie-Anna Inn, Bendigo – Bendigo, Victoria
- Element on Coolum Beach – Coolum Beach, Queensland
- COMO The Treasury – Perth, Western Australia
- Pinetrees Lodge – Lord Howe Island
- The Reef House Boutique Hotel & Spa – Palm Cove, Queensland
Hottest New Hotels: The latest and greatest hotels travellers tried this year. See all the winners here.
- Adiwana Suweta in Bali takes the cake as the best new hotel on the planet for 2022. The resort faces lush green jungle and overlooks towering tropical trees. In a year of intense stress and uncertainty, Adiwana has been the relaxing paradise travellers needed.
Mountain Resorts & Lodges (NEW for 2022): The perfect places to escape in the mountains. See all the winners here.
- Tulemar Bungalows & Villas, also rated the No. 1 Top Hotel, is the best Mountain Resort & Lodge in the world for 2022. Perched in the jungle, travellers love the Tulemar for its mountainside adventure.
- In Australia, The Falls Montville in Queensland has been named No. 5 on the World list in this inaugural ranking. Two minutes from the country village of Montville and yards from the Kondalilla Falls, The Falls Montville is perfect to explore the Sunshine Coast hinterland.
Hotels on the Water (NEW for 2022): It’s all about those waterfront views—and the (very short) distance between your bed and the beach. See all the winners here.
- Ikos Aria in Greece is the No. 1 Hotel on the Water for 2022. Basking in the enticing sunshine on the southwest coast of Kos island, Ikos Aria offers a compelling mix of contemporary style and traditional hospitality.
- In the South Pacific, Etu Moana in the Cook Islands is ranked No 15 on the World list. Each of the ten Polynesian style villas are situated on a beautiful white sandy beach with a mesmerising view of the turquoise lagoon.
Out of the Ordinary Hotels (NEW for 2022): If you’re looking for a stay to remember, these unique spots are sure to wow. See all the winners here.
- A unique year has prompted travellers to seek out unique stays. This brand new list for 2022 spotlights their favourite unusual and weird-looking properties, from cave hotels to jungle treehouses to yurts and everything in between. The No 1. Out of the Ordinary Hotel is Kayakapi Premium Caves – Cappadocia in Turkey. This is a once in a lifetime experience to stay in rooms built within a maze of caves. Add to that the view of the city of Ürgüp and Göreme National Park outside and you’ve got the perfect setup for a lust-worthy Instagram.
Luxury Hotels: Five-star stays, grand getaways, and above-and-beyond service—it doesn’t get any better than this. See all the winners here.
- Greece’s Ikos Aria tops the Luxury list as well. It’s not just the location that travellers love; this five-star hotel has guests raving about the deluxe services and best-in-class service.
- Saffire Freycinet isn’t only the best Luxury hotel in Australia, it’s also No. 1 in the South Pacific and No. 20 in the World. Located on Tasmania’s East Coast adjacent to Coles Bay and overlooking the Freycinet Peninsula, the Saffire Freycinet is known for the iconic views of Wineglass Bay.
B&Bs and Inns: All the quaint and cosy vibes you could ever need. See all the winners here.
- The Toulson Court in Scarborough, United Kingdom is the No1. B&B in the world for the second year in a row. Lauded by guests for being their “home away from home,” The Toulson is a quintessential bed and breakfast with warm and welcoming hosts.
- Here in Australia, Blue Summit Cottages in Queensland is the No. 1 B&B. Located in the Sunshine Coast hinterland, enjoy the unique, natural, beautiful and tranquil views from your private deck.
Small Stays: Boutique hotels that make a big impression. See all the winners here.
- The No. 1 Small Hotel in the world for 2022 is White House Hotel Istanbul. On top of its prime location to explore Istanbul’s endless sites, The White House Hotel has a stunning rooftop terrace where guests enjoy breakfast with a view.
- Yet again, The Falls Montville in Queensland is the No. 1 Small Hotel in Australia for 2022.
Family-Friendly Hotels: Parent-loved, kid-approved hotels for your next family vacay. See all the winners here.
- Alpino Baby Family Hotel in Andalo, Italy is the No. 1 Family-Friendly Hotel in the world for 2022. Find fun for the kids and relaxation for parents. This hotel has large equipped play areas, a water park, entertainment and daily assistance even for babies.
- In the South Pacific region, Cocos Beach Bungalows in Broome, Western Australia is crowned best for families this year. With only eight luxurious 2 & 3 bedroom free-standing bungalows spread through beautiful gardens, this retreat offers privacy, comfort and fun for the whole family!
Most Romantic Hotels: Dreamy stays that couples love. See all the winners here.
- When it comes to romance, you can find it at Hotel Valle D’Incanto, literally translating to “enchanting hotel.” This Italian-inspired stay in Gramado, Brazil is the No. 1 Most Romantic in the world for 2022. From honeymoons to anniversary trips, you’re in for charm, romanticism and exclusivity.
- Sweeping yet another category, The Falls Montville in Queensland is the No. 1 Romantic Hotel in the South Pacific for 2022.
All-Inclusive Resorts: Resorts that have thought of everything so you don’t have to. See all the winners here.
- Ikos Aria in Greece takes its third No. 1 in the world ranking for 2022 as the best All-Inclusive Resort (along with Hotels on the Water, Luxury Hotels). Beyond the dreamy views and lux amenities, Ikos Aria stands out for its impeccable service – guests barely have to lift a finger.
- Saffire Freycinet is ranked No. 3 on the World’s best list this year (on top of all it’s other wins across other categories).
To see all the 2022 winners in 11 subcategories, visit tripadvisor.com/TravelersChoice-Hotels.