2017 is not a year that will make excuses for bad housekeeping practices – this may be the year to make or break your accommodation – such is competition in the marketplace.
Do you know if your housekeeping is up to scratch? As 2016 fades into your memory and the holiday season ends, this may be the best time to evaluate your accommodation’s cleanliness and presentation. Get 2017 off to a great start by offering a five-star housekeeping standard no matter what style of accommodation you offer, and compete against the best in the industry.
21 top hotel housekeeping rituals that you should put into practice:
- Always knock three times before entering a guestroom
- Use gloves
- Strip bed, remove rubbish and dirty linen from the room
- Wash or replace cups and glasses
- Replace amenities, bar stock and reset clocks
- Check all technology is working
- Check the thermostat
- Inspect the bed for stains and vacuum
- Smooth out mattress pad and make the bed – do not “billow” sheets to prevent tired arms
- Start by cleaning the bathroom
- Clean from the back of the room to the front, and from ceiling to floor to prevent tracking germs back through the room
- After making the bed and cleaning the bathroom, follow with dusting, vacuuming, and mop as you leave the room
- Pay special attention to glass and mirrors
- Always use colour-coded cleaning cloths and the correct cleaning sprays/systems for each job
- Don’t forget to disinfect the remote control, light switches, door knobs and the telephone
- Ensure windows are closed and correctly dressed, and that the blinds/drapes are neat
- Make sure the bed is crease-free and the pillows are plumped and sitting perfectly
- Sniff the air for bad odours
- Add signature finishing touches like: towel, bathrobe, and toilet paper folds
- A final thorough inspection is required to ensure the room is pristine and exactly how guests expect it to be
- A minimum of 45 minutes should be spent cleaning a guestroom.