As a seasoned social media manager specialising in the hospitality sector, I am responsible for crafting compelling content to increase the social media presence of Emerald City Hotels, and I have some valuable insights to share.
In this article, I aim to draw from my own experience to help and empower fellow accommodation operators and hospitality professionals to improve and optimise their social media strategies for success.
Recently, I had the privilege of speaking at NoVacancy Expo 2023 on topics ranging from social media management to image creation and the most common question that quietly found its way to me after those discussions was one that resonates with many.
“What should I post when I’m at a loss for ideas?”
The relatable challenge of creating engaging content
Don’t worry, it’s very common to experience anxiety or uncertainty when it comes to content creation.
It’s a challenge that is particularly prevalent among those of you who are new to social media marketing or unsure about your target audience’s preferences.
Moreover, once you start creating content the pressure to maintain a consistent stream of engaging content can be even more daunting.
Overcome the content dilemma
To alleviate the stress of deciding what to post, it’s essential to have a well-defined social media strategy in place.
This strategy should align with your accommodation’s brand identity, target audience, and marketing goals. By regularly reviewing and adjusting the strategy based on performance data you can refine your content and make it more effective over time.
To jump-start your creative juices and inspire you to post, I suggest drawing inspiration from the following reliable trend reports.
All of these offer very valuable insights into the latest travel trends for 2023.
A goldmine of inspiration for the creation of accommodation and hospitality social media posts, this report offers actionable insights to ignite creativity and engagement in posts.
While the report primarily focuses on Australia, its findings are universally applicable and can empower social media managers in the hospitality sector to craft more compelling content.
Here is a highlight of some key trends in this report for you to focus on:
- Post-Pandemic Optimism: The report reveals a notable post-pandemic resurgence in travel, a beacon of hope for hoteliers. As travel bookings rise globally, it’s the perfect time to showcase your accommodation, post snapshots of what experiences are on offer and inspire travellers to book with you.
- Local Exploration: The emphasis on domestic and regional travel is a global phenomenon and you can capitalise on this trend by showcasing some of the unique local experiences on offer near you.
- Eco-Friendly Offerings: Sustainability resonates with travellers worldwide. Highlight your eco-conscious initiatives and green features to attract environmentally-conscious guests – it’s a growing demographic.
- Flexibility is Key: Promote flexible booking options and last-minute deals to cater to travellers’ changing plans. Encourage spontaneity and make it easy for guests to choose your property.
- Leveraging Technology: Embrace technology to enhance the guest experience. Showcase digital check-ins, contactless services, and immersive virtual tours, demonstrating your commitment to a tech-savvy traveller audience.
- Safety and Cleanliness: Global travellers continue to prioritise safety and hygiene. Share your rigorous cleaning protocols and safety measures to reassure potential guests.
- Wellness Retreats: Wellness tourism is on the rise everywhere. Highlight wellness facilities, yoga classes, spa treatments, and healthy dining options to appeal to travellers seeking rejuvenation.
- Appeal to Digital Nomads: Promote your property as an ideal location for remote work, attracting digital nomads who value comfortable accommodations and efficient workspaces.
In essence, the Expedia Travel Trends Report can help you align content with current trends to engage and captivate your audience, ultimately driving bookings and brand visibility.
Consider incorporating the colour of the year, Viva Magenta into elements of your hotel’s social media posts.
This versatile colour, otherwise known as a ‘Hue for Hospitality’ symbolises change and rejuvenation, aligning perfectly with the evolving travel landscape.
The colour Viva Magenta represents a new signal of strength, it is brave and fearless – a pulsating colour that promotes a joyous and optimistic celebration.
You can incorporate this versatile colour into your accommodation’s spaces and design whether through accent walls, furnishings, or decor elements and create impactful storytelling through visuals on your social media posts.
Condé Nast Traveller’s insights highlight the growing influence of social media on travel decisions. You should prioritise online presence and engage with travellers by using visually compelling content, user-generated reviews, and interactive storytelling.
Consider collaborations with travel influencers and the integration of user-generated content into marketing strategies. These are powerful tools to capture the attention of the modern traveller.
- Eco-Conscious Experiences: Sustainability remains at the forefront of travel trends. Condé Nast Traveller emphasises the importance of eco-conscious practices. From adopting green initiatives in operations to providing information on sustainable transportation options, accommodations should align with the values of eco-conscious travellers.
- Off-the-Beaten-Path Destinations: While traditional hotspots remain popular, travellers are increasingly seeking off-the-beaten-path destinations. Hoteliers and accommodation providers can explore partnerships with local tour operators to offer unique experiences and create packages that cater to adventurous travellers.
In other words…
Incorporating insights from these three trend reports into your hotel or accommodation social media strategy can help you meet the evolving demands of travellers in 2023.
From design aesthetics to sustainability efforts and the power of social media, these trends offer valuable guidance for staying competitive and appealing to a diverse range of guests.
Remember to embrace change, adapt to new tastes, and continue providing memorable experiences to your guests to thrive in the dynamic world of travel and hospitality.
By staying informed about travel trends, drawing inspiration from successful accounts, and refining your social media strategy, you’ll craft exceptional social media content for your accommodation, ensuring it remains a top choice for travellers in the dynamic world of hospitality.
Inspiration from Top Accommodation Instagram Accounts: To spark your creativity, consider following these top accommodation Instagram accounts.
Hôtel Plaza Athénée: This Parisian gem offers Eiffel Tower views and charming courtyard dining. Instagram Link: https://www.instagram.com/plaza_athenee/?hl=en
Santiago de Alfama – Boutique Hotel: Explore modern interiors and Alfama’s cobbled streets in Lisbon. Instagram Link: https://www.instagram.com/santiagodealfama/
The Big Idaho Potato Hotel: Experience a unique stay in a giant potato with cosy amenities and a silo-turned-spa. Instagram Link: https://www.instagram.com/bigidahopotato/?hl=en
Kate Branch is a multi-talented creative professional specialising in photography and social media management within the hotel industry. With a keen eye for capturing captivating moments, Kate elevates brands through stunning visuals and strategic online campaigns. Her expertise in hospitality and digital marketing ensures a seamless blend of artistry and business acumen.